Digital Citizenship Week: October 17 - 21, 2016
I think most of us would agree that while most students have and use mobile devices and computers; they don't always know how to use them properly in an educational setting. I believe it is up to us to make students aware of the difference between personal and professional technology use. And how to safely and responsibly use technology devices in any setting.
Digital Citizenship is a user's appropriate and responsible behavior with regard to technology use. So what makes a model digital citizen? Check out this link to read about the 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship.
In preparation for Digital Citizenship Week, we want to share some resources to help you prepare activities not only for the week but for the school year.
Common Sense Media - A wonderful website that contains all you need to know about digital citizenship and how to spread the message to your students and their family. Check out the curriculum, posters, tool kits, videos, and online activities for K-12.
YouTube - Has created a curriculum, Understanding YouTube and Digital Citizenship, for students aged 13-18. The link provided is a teacher guide of the lessons available.
Join us for our first SAISD PSA Challenge 2016 - Create (up to) a 90 second video in which students communicate their understanding of one or more of the Nine Elements of Digital Citizenship and the positive effects that result from being a model digital citizen.
Guidelines for PSA:
- PSA must address authentic issues relevant to digital citizenship - 9 Elements of Digital Citizenship
- PSA must be appropriate for a mixed audience (from grade level to school board)
- PSA must follow appropriate copyright guidelines
- PSA must stay within the 90-second limit (including credits)
- Entries must be uploaded by 4:00 pm, November 4, 2016.
- Winning entries will be selected and notified on November 8, 2016 and showcased on SAISD Channel 4 throughout the school year.
- Important information and details can be found in the Teacher Guidelines & Submission Form